Facebook video ads started in 2007. After 9 years, the king of social media enabled live broadcasts and in-stream ads. They allow brands and businesses to connect with their audiences in real-time. As such, they foster better connection and relevance among Facebook users. Below is a guide on how to create Facebook in-stream ads.
ABOUT FACEBOOK IN-STREAM ADS
According to a social media agency Hong Kong, in-stream ads are technically ad breaks on Facebook. In-stream ads are short clips featured before, during, and after a video content on Facebook. Under the Creator Studio, brands and businesses can enable in-stream ads for all or specific video content. Pages of brands and businesses need to comply with the following Facebook’s Partner Monetization Policies to be able to use in-stream ads:
- The admin or owner of the page must be 18 years old and above.
- The country or location of the page is eligible for in-stream ads.
These types of ads can be inserted on videos on-demand where the page has to meet the following requirements too:
- The Facebook Page must have at least 10,000 followers.
- The Facebook Page must have at least 5 active videos directly uploaded to the platform (not cross-posted).
- The Facebook Page must have at least 600,000 total minutes viewed in the last 60 days. It can include live, on-demand, and previously live videos.
BENEFITS OF FACEBOOK IN-STREAM ADS
A digital marketing speaker Hong Kong has noted that over 2 million people watch Facebook in-stream ads monthly. Thus, their main benefit is boosting the engagement rate of a page or post.
Video topics are also available when setting up Facebook in-stream ads. Powered by machine learning (ML), it gives brands and businesses more choices where their in-stream ads will appear. It means larger engagement and reaches.
Around 70% of Facebook in-stream ads are viewed completely. It is not because they cannot be skipped. It is mainly because most mobile users consume a lot of video content. So, they actively choose to watch Facebook in-stream ads.
As mention, the pages of brands and businesses should meet certain criteria to utilize Facebook in-stream ads. In exchange, they have a guaranteed audience size. As they result in a certain level of engagement, in-stream ads can boost conversion rates. It is especially true when brands and businesses target in-stream ads to people who have already shown interest in their products or services.
HOW TO CREATE FACEBOOK IN-STREAM ADS?
Just like other campaigns within Facebook Ads Manager, in-stream ads undergo the same steps when setting up a campaign. According to a video marketing agency Hong Kong, in-stream ads involve choosing ad placements, defining your target audience, and naming the campaign. But you must ensure to ticked “In-Stream” under the list of ad placements. Afterward, you can combine them with Facebook Stories and other static ads falling under the same campaigns.
To create Facebook In-stream ads, go to Creator Studio.
- Click “Monetization” on the left side of the menu.
- Click the “Set Up” button.
- Select the Facebook Page where you would like to set up the in-stream ad. The set-up process includes choosing ad placements, defining your target audience, and naming the campaign. Don’t forget to tick the “In-Stream” option under the list of ad placements.
- Click “Show More Options” at the bottom of the list of ad placements. If you choose the option to “Don’t Include Skippable Ads in This Ad Set,” the in-stream ad cannot be skipped during a video break. Leaving such a setting off gives users the option to skip your in-stream ad.
- Upload your video content.
- Review the terms and conditions before you click “Agree to Terms.”
- Set up your payment account for the campaign.
- Submit your in-stream ad for review.
All videos on Facebook in-stream ads must be under a 1:1 or 16:9 aspect ratio. The pixels should at least be 1080 x 1080. Brands and businesses can use different file formats for Facebook in-stream ads such as .gif, .mov, or .mp4, as long as they are smaller than 4 GB.
PRO-TIPS TO CREATING MORE EFFECTIVE FACEBOOK IN-STREAM ADS
Here are some pro-tips from Facebook’s Creative Guidance Navigator (CGN) to creating more effective Facebook in-stream ads.
- Make an instant impact by starting strong in the 1st 3-second of an in-stream ad. It is the time when a viewer will decide to skip or watch it.
- Make your in-stream ads recognizable by creating a distinctive look. Show off your logo immediately. Use a consistent brand color and theme.
- Mix static and video ads to make in-stream ads more engaging. It allows Facebook users to recognize a brand or business more.
- Use simple but straightforward call-to-actions (CTAs) on your in-stream ads. Links, primary text, and URL are ways to direct CTAs on eCommerce sites and landing pages. They can boost conversion and sales.